Sunday, August 12, 2012

That has Wheat?

I have spent a lot of time over the past few days saying that. Remember when I said it was an easy decision to cut out wheat? That was true but the execution of it is a whole other matter.

Can you name the things you eat that have wheat in them? I thought I could. Bread, cereal, pasta and baked goods. Turns out that the list is much, much longer then that. Soy Sauce, BBQ sauce, even canned soup has wheat in it.

Before this lifestyle change I never read labels. I simply ate what I wanted and didn't really care about what was in it. Honestly, worrying about what was in my food was something I actively tried not to do. It stressed me out to think about the horrors of modern food. I saw Food Inc. I knew some of the truths. But choosing not to take notice was much easier.

Of course now I must take an active interest in order to become a healthier person. I dropped the wheat and went on with life. I did not always stop to read the labels or research what was about to go in my body, mostly cause I thought I knew what wheat was in. Then we had sushi. I ate it with great joy and liberal amounts of soy sauce. Yeah. I had no idea it had wheat in it. I figured it out quickly cause me tummy was very unhappy. Now I read the labels of everything that I am going to consume or do some research into it.

Here are the surprising places you will find wheat:

Battered foods like fish sticks
Frozen and Canned Veggies
Sauces like soy sauce, Worcestershire, teriyaki, and horseradish
Gravy
Curry powder, Cajun spice, pie spice and Thai spices
Instant Drinks like instant coffee, cocoa powder
Ice cream!
Sausages
Chewing gum, chocolate

What have I gotten myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment